Importing from China, Vietnam or India to Australia? Most likely, you’ll need to pay a Goods and Services Tax (GST) of 10% on top of the taxable importation value.
In this article, I explain what every Australian importer must know about GST, including:
- GST rates on imported goods
- GST calculation examples
- How to (legally) reduce the payable GST
- How to correctly declare GST
- GST credits when importing goods
- GST exemptions and thresholds on imported goods
- GST for private importers
- GST registration for overseas companies
What is the GST rate when importing from China, Vietnam or other countries in Asia?
The GST rate for imported goods in Australia is 10%. Unlike for import duties (which may differ depending on the manufacturing country), the GST rate is the same regardless of the country of origin.