Compliance’s Guide: Apparel & Textiles (USA)
Get access to a set of ready made document templates:
- Sales Agreement Template
- Sample Order Template
- NDA Template
- Quotation Request Template
- Email Templates
Stay Up To Date
How Will The Compliance Guide: Apparel & Textiles (USA) Help Me?
- Understand Apparel Regulations: If you’re going to import clothing or textiles, you need to know about the rules and material restrictions that your products must adhere to. The Compliance Guide explains these regulations in plain English, so you can avoid the fines and forced recalls that result from importing non-compliant goods.
- Fulfil Apparel Labelling Requirements: Any clothing or textile products must be correctly labelled in order to be legally sold within the United States. In the Compliance Guide, we tell you how to meet labelling requirements by providing information on fiber composition, sizing, care instructions and any other necessary details.
- Find Out Which Suppliers Can Comply With Regulations: Many Asian manufacturers don’t even know about the rules and material restrictions in the United States. The Compliance Guide gives you a tried and trusted method for assessing whether a supplier can ensure product compliance. With our quick but rigorous interview scripts and checklists you can avoid suppliers who can’t meet the standards you need for your products.
- Use Cost-Optimized Testing To Save Thousands: In order to ensure your product meets regulatory standards you’ll want to test a sample with a third party lab. In the Compliance Guide we explain how to streamline usage of materials and components so you can reduce your testing costs and still get the results you need.
- Understand Mandatory Laboratory Testing Procedures: We explain how the testing process works in practical terms, from submitting samples to a third party testing company to acting on the results. We also give you contact information for a list of fully accredited testing companies, so you get results you can trust.
- Establish Compliance With Our Step-By-Step Checklist: We help you navigate the complexity of regulatory compliance by breaking the process down into simple actionable steps. Our checklist gives you an easy to understand list of tasks to help you make sure you get a product you can sell without worrying about compliance.
Compliance Guide: Apparel & Textiles (US) Chapters
Chapter 1: Apparel & Textiles Regulations
- Substance Regulations: Learn more about mandatory substance regulations, and how you ensure compliance
- Testing Requirements: Third party compliance testing may or may not be mandatory, depending on the product, and market
- Mandatory Documents: Some regulations requires the importer to obtain specific documents
- General Labelling Requirements: Learn more about mandatory labelling requirements, when importing apparel. This section includes information mandatory labelling requirements for fiber composition, sizing and more
- Care Label Requirements: Learn more about mandatory washing and care instructions
- Licenses & Permits: Learn more about mandatory licenses and permits
Chapter 2: Product Compliance Procedure
- Supplier Compliance Capability Assessment: Only a minority of Asia’s apparel manufacturers have experience in ensuring compliance with overseas apparel regulations. Selecting the wrong supplier can easily result in disaster for your business. This section explains how you can assess a supplier’s capability to ensure compliance with overseas regulations, through a 3-step procedure
- Testing Cost Case Study: Learn more about laboratory testing cost structures
- Cost Reduction Strategies: Laboratory testing of fabrics can cost thousands of dollars, unless you apply a cost reduction strategy. This part explains exactly how you can do that
- Risk Scenarios: What if your products fails compliance testing? This part explains what risks you are facing, and how you can deal with them
- Sample Submission: Learn how to submit product samples to a testing company
- Labelling File Formats: Learn more about submitting product labels to your supplier, including file formats and label data
- Final Compliance Checklist: With so many moving parts to consider, when ensuring compliance, you don’t need to be sure that you don’t miss anything. Follow our Compliance Checklist to reduce the risk of non-compliance
Chapter 3: Authorities & Testing Companies
- Relevant Authorities: Substance regulations and labelling requirements might change tomorrow. This list includes contact details to the relevant authorities, that you should contact, before importing apparel from Asia
- Accredited Testing Companies: This list of compliance testing companies can help you get started with testing
What Our Customers Say
“We have worked with Chinaimportal for several years now. The team helped us to source and audit our suppliers, set up secure, fair and lasting contracts as well as handled all the logistics around our import needs. In short, a highly professional partner when it comes to importing from China.”
“I worked with Chinaimportal to assist me in the sourcing and auditing process for my first order from China. I was first exposed to Chinaimportal through the excellent information they put on their blog regarding the product sourcing and development process. I am excited about growing my eCommerce business and I plan to use Chinaimportal for my future sourcing efforts.”
Davidson Hepburn,Managing Director,
Gold Tiger Holdings
“We have avoided serious supplier related risks, and been guided through each step of the procurements process. Thanks to this, we, as jewelry designers, can focus on what we do best: working on new designs and getting them out on the market.”
Robert Carlsson, Co-Founder,
RJ Design AB, Sweden
Who Is This For?
Frequently Asked Questions
About the Compliance Guide
How is the Compliance Guide delivered?
After your order is placed, you can download the Compliance Guide directly from the ‘My Account’ section on Chinaimportal.com. You only need to login using the username and password you selected in the checkout.
Will we receive future Compliance Guide updates free of charge?
Yes, free updates are included for 1 year (365 days), from the date of your purchase. For example, if you order a Compliance Guide on April 5 2016, you will get free access to all updated versions made until April 4 2017.
How can we access updated versions of the Compliance Guide?
The Digital Download link, in your ‘My Account’ section, is automatically updated each time we make a revision to a Compliance Guide.
Do you offer a money back guarantee or refunds?
Yes, but only if both of the following two conditions apply:
1. The customer has not downloaded the Compliance Guide from the ‘My Account’ page
2. The customer requests a refund within 14 days from the purchase date
If the Compliance Guide, or any of the other included files, has been downloaded, we don’t offer a refund.
What if we are not satisfied with the Compliance Guide?
If you are not satisfied, we are very interested in your feedback. We are continuously working to improve our Compliance Guides, and add content or implement changes, based on feedback from our customers.
What kind of customers are you working with?
Most of our customers are small to medium sized businesses, based in Europe, USA and the Asia Pacific region. However, we are also working with startups and small businesses in Latin America, the Middle East and Africa.
Do you have any customer references?
Yes, click here for customer references.
What is the product scope of this Compliance Guide?
This Compliance Guide applies to apparel, made for adults. However, it does not apply to all categories of apparel. These categories for which the guide does not apply include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Children’s and infants apparel
- Leather and fur products
- Textiles for furniture
- Packaging materials
What is the regulatory scope of this Compliance Guide?
This Compliance Guide only covers Federal U.S. regulations, with the exception of California Proposition 65, which is administered by the State of California. However, you must be aware that additional substance restrictions, labelling requirements and other product regulations, that are not covered by this Compliance Guide, may apply in other states (including the State of California).
Shall I contact local authorities?
After reading this guide, we strongly advise you to contact local authorities. At the end of the Compliance Guide, you will find contact details to relevant authorities. Further, you will also find a checklist, helping you to determine whether or not additional regulations do apply in your state/country.
What is Chinaimportal’s liability?
We do not offer insurance, or any other form of compensation, in case of loss, damage, injury or death resulting, as a result of this Compliance Guide incorrect, erroneous, misleading, ambiguous, incomplete, outdated or modified.
Regulations are subject to change, and it is within the limits of reason to assume that we may have misinterpreted one or more of the regulations, and processes, described in the Compliance Guide.
What could go wrong?
There are various risk scenarios that apparel importers should be aware of, including, but not limited to:
1. Products that are non-compliant with substance regulations, labelling requirements and other product regulations, are subject to a forced recall. Additionally, the importer may also be subject to fines. Non-compliance may be discovered at the point of entry, or several months – or even years – after the products first entered the market.
2. Products that improperly labelled (i.e., not carrying the correct label information) may be seized by the customs authorities, or subject to a forced recall. This also applies in case documents are found to be missing.
3. Product packaging, especially plastic bags, are potentially dangerous to small children.
4. Severe cases, of product non-compliance, may result in major fines or even imprisonment.
5. Even if you do follow all procedures described in the Compliance Guide, and according to recommendations issued by local authorities and trade groups, you always face the risk that the products you import is non-compliant with relevant substance regulations. For example, materials can be contaminated during production. This may result in failed compliance testing results, which in turn can render the produce
6. Incorrect procurement practices (i.e., as a result of kickback payments) may also result in your supplier purchasing non-compliant materials, even if they have been instructed to not do so.
7. A supplier may fail to apply the correct labelling files, as instructed. Always check up and verify that the correct labels are used, before shipment.
Note: This list above is not meant to intimidate you. However, by being aware of the potential risks, and the stakes at hand, you are more likely to avoid these scenarios altogether.
What is it?
When you order a Buyer’s Guide Package, we provide you with online support through the Ticket system on ChinaImportal.com. We can answer your questions related to:
- Supplier Sourcing
- Fraud Prevention
- Product Development
- Shipping, Customs & Duties
- Product Certification, Labelling & Testing
Why is the Online Advisor service bundled together with the Buyer’s Guide?
We know that you need questions answered, and guidance throughout the buying process. As such, the Online Advisor offers personal assistance, while the Buyer’s Guide provide a written roadmap.
How can we access the Online Advisor service?
Go to the My Account page, login using the email address and password you set in the checkout and submit a support ticket. You can submit as many questions as you want, and we normally get back to you within 48 hours. Once we have responded, you will receive an email notification.
How much can I use the Online Advisor system?
The number of tickets you can use depends on which Buyer’s Guide package you purchased:
- Basic: Not included (0 tickets)
- Startup: 1 ticket
- Premium: 6 tickets
How do you define ‘1 ticket’?
A single ticket is defined as one or several questions, related to a specific topic. For example, you may send several questions related to the same topic, within one ticket. However, unrelated questions or other requests requires that you open a second ticket.
That being said, we are flexible, but must limit the usage to deliver a quality service for a reasonable price.
For how long are the tickets valid?
The tickets are valid for 1 year (i.e., 365 days), from the date of purchase. For example, if you order your Buyer’s Guide on 2017-03-01, you must use all your tickets on or before 2018-03-01. Tickets that are not used after this point will automatically expire.
Can we buy more tickets after we run out?
Yes. Please Contact us for pricing and more information.
What kind of guidance on product regulations can you offer?
We can provide general guidance on safety standards and labeling requirements in the European Union and the United States. However, we offer no guarantee that the information we provide is accurate.
When possible, we share the information we have, which in most cases can guide the customer in the right direction. That said, we do not engage in extensive research, or the practical steps of the product compliance procedures.
Can you help us with Quality Inspections?
Yes. When you order a Compliance Guide, we also include an introduction to a leading quality inspection agency, and a US$50 discount on your first quality inspection. A coupon, also listing step by step instructions to get started, is available for download in the ‘My Account‘ area, after your purchase.
Can you help us with Freight Forwarding?
Yes. When you order a Compliance Guide, we also include an introduction to a leading freight forwarder, and a US$50 discount on your first shipment. A coupon, also listing step by step instructions to get started, is available for download in the ‘My Account‘ area, after your purchase.
What kind of Document Templates are included?
- Sales Agreement Template;
- NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) Template;
- RFQ (Request for Quotation) Template;
- Sample Order Sheet & Terms Template;
- E-mail Templates.
Can I pay with my Visa or MasterCard?
Yes, we offer credit card payments through PayPal or Stripe. Customers based in certain countries may be required to create a PayPal account in order to make a Credit Card transaction. This is free and only takes a moment. You just need to add your email address and agree with Paypal Terms of Service. With Stripe, you don’t need an account.
Can I pay with PayPal?
Yes, you can pay with your balance, bank account or credit card through PayPal.
Do you offer a safe payment method?
Yes, all payments are processed by PayPal, which uses an SSL certificate to encrypt your data.
Will I receive an invoice for my company?
Yes, it’s delivered together with the payment confirmation email.
VAT (United Kingdom & EU Customer Only)
My company is based in the United Kingdom, do you charge VAT?
ChinaImportal.com is owned and operated by Asiaimportal Limited, based in London, United Kingdom. We don’t charge VAT on orders from UK businesses, as of today. However, your company must be registered for VAT and you must enter your VAT number during the checkout in order to buy a Buyer’s Guide.
My company is based in the European Union (excluding UK), do you charge VAT?
No, at the moment we don’t charge VAT. However, if you are resident in a country belonging to the European Union, you must be registered for VAT and enter your VAT number during the checkout in order to buy a Buyer’s Guide.
Where can I find your Terms of Service?
Follow this link to read our Terms of Service.